Sunday, November 23, 2008

You Can Run, But You Can't Hide


I just finished reading the final pages of Emerson's "Self-Reliance" after school and was about to drive home. I got in my car, put on the radio, and began to drive. A song then came on whose lyrics reminded me tremendously of a maxim I had just read in Emerson's essay. The song is titled, "We Don't Have to Look Back Now," by Puddle of Mudd; this song connects to Emerson's belief about "travel."


In "Self-Reliance" Emerson writes, "He who travels to be amused, or to get somewhat which he does not carry, travels away from himself, and grows old even in youth among old things" (34). Emerson explains that it is not correct for people to run away from their problems, whatever the issue may be. People often believe that by "fleeing" their problems and going somewhere else, their problems will disappear. Emerson, however, says that if one runs away from their problems, that same problem will continue to find that person, wherever they go. It is, therefore, necessary that people plant their feet and confront their issues. By fleeing, one runs away from themself, and self-reliance no longer exists.

The lyrics to the song I heard seems to oppose Emerson's belief regarding "travel." The chorus to the song is:

"You and I will ride tonight'
Till the past is out of sight
We don't have to look back now
From the dark into the light
We can leave it all behind
We can stand together, we don't have to look back now."

The singer here is saying that he and someone else are confronted by a problematic past. He decides to "flee" their problems by "running" away from the past and leaving all problems behind. It seems very inspirational at the time, but as Emerson discussed, this dude's gonna find out it isn't that simple. Even if these people momentarily "run" away from their issues and leave the past behind, their problems will follow them forever and wherever they go. The only way that these people will be at peace will be to face their past and solve their problems.

The connection between this song and Emerson's writing truly allowed me to reach a great conclusion regarding "travel." I do agree with Emerson that one cannot run away from their problems, but the song inspires me to release myself in a way from the issues I face. I, therefore, have created an efficient compromise between the two beliefs; I will never run from my problems, but I will first release myself from the pressure that those problems present, and then face them.

1 comment:

Kolbes said...

Great post! I agree with you and Emerson that running away from your problems will only make them worse because it gives you false hope that you have faced them, but they will turn up again later. Confronting them helps you deal with the issue before it grows worse.